Tutor: Giuseppe Ezio Manetto
- 2021-2024: PhD course in Agricultural, Food and Environmental Science, University of Catania (Cycle XXXVII). Research project: "Nozzle Spray Quality and Spray Deposition in Agricultural Treatments". The general objective of the research project is to assess the nozzle spray quality and deposit using mainly techniques based on Digital Image Analysis (DIA). The methodological approach of the research is based on the use of a low-cost laboratory system for nozzle spray analysis under realistic conditions. The use of the test bench will allow to study the correlation between spray deposit and surface coverage, so ensuring, in effective pesticide distributions, the correct amount of active substance on the target and the increase in the probability of contact between pest and pesticide.
- 2018-2020: Master’s Degree in Agricultural Science and Technology (LM-69), University of Catania; supervisor Prof. Emanuele Cerruto. Title of degree thesis: “Functional control of sprayers in Sicily”. Final mark: 110/110 and praise.
- 2015-2018: Bechelor’s Degree in Land Protection and Landscape Planning (L-21), University of Catania; supervisor Prof.ssa Sabina Iole Giuseppina Failla. Title of degree thesis: “Solar thermal systems: innovations and perspectives”. Final mark: 106/110.
- 2015: High School Graduation, Liceo scientifico“Galileo Ferraris”, San Giovanni La Punta (CT). Final mark 82/100.
The aim of my research activity is to assess the nozzle spray quality and deposit using mainly techniques based on Digital Image Analysis (DIA). In order to achieve the goals, the used methodological approach is based on the use of a low-cost laboratory system for nozzle spray analysis under realistic conditions. With this research activity, we want to improve the state of knowledge about the inter-relations between deposit, superficial coverage and drop size distribution in agricultural treatments.
In particular, the main research activities concern:
- Measurement the spray quality of several agricultural nozzles at varying the working conditions (e.g. spray pressure);
- Measurement the spray coverage on Water Sensitive Papers (WSP) at the same condition;
- Measurement the spray deposition on natural targets such as leaves or fruits;
- Correlation of the spray quality with superficial coverage and spray deposition during effective treatments.
- Cerruto, E.; Manetto, G.; Privitera, S.; Papa, R.; Longo, D. Effect of Image Segmentation Thresholding on Droplet Size Measurement. Agronomy 2022, 12, 1677. https://doi.org/10.3390/ agronomy12071677.
- Privitera, S.; Manetto, G.; Pascuzzi, S.; Pessina, S.; Cerruto, E. Drop Size Measurement Techniques for Agricultural Sprays: A state-of-The-Art-Review. Agronomy 2023, 13, 678. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy13030678.