Antonio GugliuzzoDottorando - XXXV Ciclo Agricultural, Food and Environmental Science - Tutor: Antonio Biondi
Telefono: 095 7147357
2019-2022: PhD course in Agricultural, Food and Environmental Science, University of Catania. Research project: “Development of new tools for sustainable management of non-native Ambrosia Beetles”. Specific objectives of the PhD project aim at the evaluation of: 1) Xylosandrus mass rearing protocols in laboratory conditions considering hygro-thermal performances and different development substrates; 2) Lethal and sublethal effects of biopesticides compared to conventional synthetic insecticides against Xylosandrus ambrosia beetles; 3) Potential role of mycoparasitic fungi and antagonistic bacteria towards beetles and their fungal symbionts; 4) Bioactivity of essential oils towards beetles and the potential impact against fungal symbionts; 5) Ambrosia beetle host range among Mediterranean wild and cultivated plant species/varieties; 6) Potential for Push & pull strategies against Xylosandrus ambrosia beetles.
05/2018–05/2019: Research collaborator - University of Catania. Department of Agriculture, Food and Environment (Di3A). Section of Applied Entomology.
Field and laboratory studies to evaluate biology, control strategies and biological activity of volatile substances against Xylosandrus compactus within the "Phytosanitary defence against the scolityd beetle Xylosandrus compactus on Carob tree " project, funded by Sicilian Region Region.
12/2017–02/2018: Research collaborator - University of Catania. Department of Agriculture, Food and Environment (Di3A). Section of Applied Entomology.
Development of new experimental protocols for rearing and exposure to biocides of the pest Drosophila suzukii and its parasitoid Trichopria drosophilae within the "Target and non-target entomotoxicity of bioinsectide nanoformulations" project, funded by MIUR.
11/2018: Visiting research assistant - Council for Agricultural Research and Agricultural Economy Analysis - Research Centre for Agrobiology and Pedology (Florence) (CRA CRA-ABP).
Collaboration on research topics concerning Coleoptera Scolytidae infesting plants of agricultural and forest interest. Under the supervision of Dr. Fabrizio Pennacchio, Senior Researcher of the Center.
2014-2017: MSc in Agricultural Sciences and Technologies LM69 (magna cum laude), speciality on Phytosanitary Technologies - University of Catania, Catania (Italy)
Experimental thesis: "Olfactory response of the zoophytophagous mirid Nesidiocoris tenuis to tomato and alternative host plants".
2010-2014: BSc in Agricultural Sciences and Technologies L25 (magna cum laude) - University of Catania, Catania (Italy)
Thesis: "A new invasive species on strawberry: Drosophila suzukii (Matsumura)".
2009: Scientific High School Graduation, Liceo Scientifico "Ven. Ignazio Capizzi", Bronte (Italy)
- Gugliuzzo A., Mazzeo G., Mansour R., Tropea Garzia G. (2019). Carob pests in the Mediterranean region: bio-ecology, natural enemies and management options. Phytoparasitica, DOI: 10.1007/s12600-019-00766-7. (Journal Impact Factor (2018) 1.022 (JCR); Q2 in Plant Sciences).
- Gugliuzzo A., Cavallaro C., Strano C., Alinç T., Passos L., Cocuzza G., Russo A., Siscaro G., Tropea Garzia G., Desneux N., Guerrieri E., Buffington M., Zappalà L., Biondi A. (2019). Population dynamics of Drosophila suzukii and first data on its fortuitous parasitoids in Sicily (Italy). In preparation
- Gugliuzzo A., Criscione G., Siscaro G., Russo A., Tropea Garzia G. (2019). First data on the flight activity and distribution of the ambrosia beetle Xylosandrus compactus (Eichhoff) on carob trees in Sicily. Bulletin OEPP/EPPO Bulletin, DOI: 10.1111/epp.12564 (CiteScore (2018) 0.820 (Scopus); Q2 in Agricultural and Biological Sciences).
- Gugliuzzo A., Criscione G., Tropea Garzia G. (2019). Unusual behavior of Xylosandrus compactus (Coleoptera: Scolytinae) on Carob trees in a Mediterranean environment. Insects, 10(3), 82. (Journal Impact Factor (2018) 2.139 (JCR); Q1 in Entomology).
- Siscaro G., Lo Pumo C., Tropea Garzia, G., Tortorici S., Gugliuzzo A., Ricupero M., Biondi A., Zappalà L. (2019). Temperature and tomato variety influence the development and the plant damage induced by the zoophytophagous mirid bug Nesidiocoris tenuis. Journal of Pest Science, 92(3), 1049-1056. (Journal Impact Factor (2018) 5.133 (JCR); Q1 in Entomology).
- Naselli M., Zappala L., Gugliuzzo A., Tropea Garzia G., Biondi A., Rapisarda C., Cincotta F., Condurso C., Verzera A., Siscaro G. (2017). Olfactory response of the zoophytophagous mirid Nesidiocoris tenuis to tomato and alternative host plants. Arthropod-Plant Interactions, 11(2), 121-131. (Journal Impact Factor (2017) 1.591 (JCR); Q2 in Entomology).
- Gugliuzzo A., Criscione G., Siscaro G., Russo A., Tropea Garzia G. (Oral Presentation). Xylosandrus compactus (Eichhoff): a serious threat to Carobs in Sicily. European PhD Network “Insect Science”, IX Annual Meeting, 14-16 November 2018, Florence (Italy).
- Gugliuzzo A., Cavallaro C., Alinç T., Finocchiaro E., Tropea Garzia G., Siscaro G., Zappalà L., Biondi A. (Poster). Population dynamics of Drosophila suzukii and first data on its parasitoids on Mount Etna (Italy). XI European Congress of Entomology, 2-6 July 2018, Naples (Italy).