Born in Piazza Armerina on 09 November 1985. After having obtained the scientific high-school diploma in 2004, he enrolled in the Bachelor's Degree Course in Biological Sciences (L-13) of the University of Catania. In March 2010 he graduated by discussing an experimental thesis in molecular genetics obtaining a final grade of 96/110.
Between November 2010 and July 2011 he attended a first level Master in Quality and Product Certification in Agri-food Companies at the CTQ spa in Poggibonsi (SI).
Also in 2011 he enrolled in the Master's Degree Course in Agricultural Biotechnology (LM-7) of the University of Catania, obtaining the title in July 2013, discussing an experimental thesis in phytopathological biotechnology and obtaining a final grade of 110 / 110 cum laude.
Winner of the Leonardo da Vinci Lifelong Learning Program, in 2014 he spent four months at the Institute of Experimental Botany in Prague (Czech Republic).
In October 2016 he won a scholarship for the PhD in Agricultural, Food and Environmental Sciences (international) at the Plant Genetics laboratory of the Department of Agriculture, Food and Environment (Di3A) of the University of Catania. During the PhD he spent six months at the Laboratory of Molecular Biology of Plants of the Boyce Thompson Institute, Cornell University (Ithaca, NY, USA) and finally in February 2020 he obtained the title of PhD discussing the thesis entitled "RNASeq analysis of giant the reed reveals the dynamics of the leaf transcriptome under long-term saline stress conditions ".
From April 2020 to December 2021 he worked as a research fellow at the Plant Genetics laboratory of the Department of Agriculture, Food and Environment (Di3A) of the University of Catania.
In January 2022 he wins a type A researcher contract (RTDA) at Di3A for the scientific disciplinary sector AGR / 07 Plant genetics.
He is reviewer for high impact factor journals: Plants, Frontiers in Plant science, Agronomy, Genomics, International Journal of Molecular Science.
He is a member of the Italian Society of Agricultural Genetics (SIGA).
Last edit: 09/19/2023
Academic Year 2021/2022
- DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, FOOD AND ENVIRONMENT
Bachelor's Degree in Agricultural Science and Technology - 1st Year
The research activity is about:
- Transcriptomic (RNAseq) and epigenetic analysis of plants of agricultural interest subjected to abiotic and biotic stresses.
- Regulatory mechanisms, at transcritpional and post-transcriptional level, of anthocyanin biosynthesis in blood orange.
- Genetic characterization of durum wheat landraces by using molecular markers (SSR).
- Transcritomic analysis of indigenous and international grape varieties, cultivated in different italian regions for the study of genotype-environment interaction (project PRIN 2017 “Influence of Agro-climatic conDitions on the microbiome and genetic expression of grApevines for the Production of red wines: a mulTisciplinary approach” - ADAPT – 2019-2022).
- Genotype/environment correlation analysis