Alberto FiorenzaPhD Student - XXXVI Cycle Agricultural, Food and Environmental Science - Tutor: Giancarlo Polizzi
2020 – 2023 PhD Candidate
PhD course in Agricultural, Food and Environmental Science, University of Catania.
Research project: “Characterization of new or emerging fungal diseases of Avocado and development of sustainable control strategies”.
The aims of the PhD project are:
1) Study the morphological and molecular characterization of fungal isolates associated with symptomatic branches, roots, leaves and fruits;
2) Determine pathogenicity of the most commonly isolated putative pathogens, distribution and aggressiveness comparison;
3) To evaluate sensitivity of recovered pathogens to multiple fungicides, Biological control agents (BCAs), and Systemic Acquired Resistance inducers in vitro and in vivo tests.
May 2020: Qualification as Agronomist and Forestry Doctor.
2017 – 2019
MSc in Agricultural Sciences and Technologies (LM-69), University of Catania.
Degree thesis: “Characterization of Eutypa lata and Cytospora pistaciae causing dieback and canker of pistachio in Italy”.
2013 – 2017
BSc in Agricultural Sciences and Technologies (L-25), University of Catania.
Degree thesis: “Mineral nutrition of nursery potted plants”.
2013 High School Diploma
I.I.S.S. Benedetto Radice, Bronte (CT)
- D. Aiello, A. Fiorenza, G. Gusella, G. Polizzi (2020). First report of Calonectria Tunisiana causing crown and root rot on Eucalyptus Globulus. Journal of Plant Pathology https://doi.org/10.1007/s42161-020-00636-w.
- D. Aiello, G. Gusella, A. Fiorenza, V. Guarnaccia, G. Polizzi (2020). Identification of Neofusicoccum parvum causing Canker and Twig Blight on Ficus carica in Italy. Phytopathologia Mediterranea 59(1): 213-218. doi: 10.14601/Phyto-10798
- D. Aiello, G. Polizzi, G. Gusella, A. Fiorenza, V. Guarnaccia (2019). Characterization of Eutypa lata and Cytospora pistaciae causing die-back and canker of pistachio in Italy. Phytopathologia Mediterranea 58(3): 699-706. doi: 10.13128/Phyto-10880