FOOD TECHNOLOGYModule QUALITY MANAGEMENT
Academic Year 2022/2023 - Teacher: ROSA PALMERI
Expected Learning Outcomes
The course aims to provide a description of Unit Operations and the main processes of catering and organized distribution, as well as the chemical-physical phenomena and transformations that occur in food. The course focuses on the problems and interactions that exist between product, process and storage within the catering production processes. In particular, material and energy balances applied to the main production processes characteristic of the Mediterranean area, the transport of bound heat and the main conservation techniques, the shelf life of food, cooking techniques, the structuring of ready meals and menus. Finally, the course will focus on the production processes and issues related to the main productions of the Mediterranean area, such as wine, milk, oil and bakery products through case studies applied to catering.
The course aims to provide students with: the knowledge necessary to understand and face the problems in the transformation and production of a food. In particular, attention will be focused on the interactions between raw materials and transformation processes to obtain a high quality food
Lectures and exercises (classroom and company), also on line
If teaching is done in mixed or remote mode, specific changes to the program may need to be made
Attendance of Lessons
Detailed Course Content
- Introduction to the course. Description of the transformation processes of raw materials and their meaning and problems relating to food preparations and critical process points
- Definition of Unit Operations: Traditional Unit Operation, Innovative Unit Operations and Mild Technologies
- Mass and energy balances
- Heat exchangers
- Food Preservation Methods: food ranges quality of the raw material, cold storage, preservation with heat, ready to eat,
- Shelf life
- Cooking techniques
- Ready meals
- Structuring of menus
- Case studies and problems related to the production of wine, milk, oil and bakery products
- Cappellano S. 2009. Manuale della ristorazione. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana.
- Cappelli P., Vannucchi V. 2005. Chimica degli alimenti. Terza edizione, Zanichelli.
- Cappelli P., Vannucchi V. 2020. Principi di chimica degli alimenti. Zanichelli
- Todaro A., Palmeri R., Alberio, Spagna G. 2020. TECNOLOGIE ALIMENTARI: PROBLEMI SVOLTI DI OPERAZIONI UNITARIE. Palermo University Press
- Singh P.R., Heldman D.R. 2019. Principi di tecnologia alimentare. Edizione italiana a cura di Giovannelli, Guidetti, Lucisano, Zanoni. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
- Melissano M. 2009. Alimenti e alimentazione Chimica, Igiene degli Alimenti e Tecnologia dei Processi Alimentari. Edagricole.
- Menaggia G., Roncalli W. 2015. L'Industria Agroalimentare. Franco Lucisano Editore
- Fellow P.J. 2016 4th edition. Food Processing Technology: Principles and Practice. Woodhead Publishing
- Del Carmen Lomas Esteban M. 2002. Introduccion al calculo de los procesos tecnologicos de los alimentos. Acribia, S.A. (Espana)
|Cappellano S.||Manuale della ristorazione||Ambrosiana||2009|
|Cappelli - Vannucchi||Chimica degli alimenti||Zanichelli||2005|
|Cappelli - Vannucchi||Principi di chimica degli alimenti||Zanichelli||2020|
|1||Definition of Unit Operations||Lecture notes by the teacher|
|2||Mass and energy balances applied to Mediterranean processes||Lecture notes by the teacher|
|3||Heat transport in catering food processes||Lecture notes by the teacher|
|4||Food preservation operations||testo n. 2 - Parte 4, capitoli 11; 12; 13; 14; 15|
|5||Thermal preservation processes||Lecture notes by the teacher|
|6||La shelf life of foods||Lecture notes by the teacher|
|7||Technological processes in catering||testo n.1 - Parte II, capitoli 8, 9,10, 11, 12|
|8||The design of meals and menus||testo n. 1 - Parte I, capitoli 2; 3; 4;|
|9||Wine production process||testo n. 2 - Parte 8, capitolo 27|
|10||Production process of milk and derivative products||testo n. 2 - Parte 5, capitoli 17; 18; 19|
|11||Production process of olive oil and vegetable fats||testo n. 2 - Parte 7, capitoli 23; 24|
|12||Production process of bakery products||testo n. 2 - Parte 8, capitolo 25|
Learning Assessment Procedures
The final exam consists of a written and oral test, which include the discussion of the exercises related to mass and energy balances, heat exchange and evaluation of shelf life. The oral exam will be completed with the discussion of the remaining topics included in the program. The final mark will be the weighted average of the written and oral marks. The ability to solve numerical problems will be evaluated through the application of the appropriate mathematical and physical relationships; the ability to describe physical and biological phenomena, principles of organization and management of productive contexts, with properties of language, analytical and synthesis skills.
Whenever possible, intermediate written tests will be carried out, relating to exercises relating to mass and energy balances, heat exchange and evaluation of shelf life. Passing the mid-term test allows you to take a final exam which excludes the topics covered by the test, the grade of the mid-term exam contributes to the final grade, in a weighted way.