MATHEMATICSAcademic Year 2020/2021 - 1° Year
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: MAT/04 - Mathematics education and history of mathematics
Course Language: Italian
Taught classes: 28 hours
Exercise: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
The course has a twofold target: on the one hand, it aims to provide basic calculus tools, useful for other courses, on the other hand it aims to train the skills of reasoning and problem solving, typical skills of a mathematical education.
- Knowledge and understanding: knowledge on Cartesian plane, functions, differential calculus, integral calculus.
- Applying knowledge and understanding: knowing how to manipulate lines and conics in a Cartesian plane, knowing how to study functions, knowing how to interpret graphs of functions, knowing how to calculate simple integrals.
- Making judgements: knowing how to give mathematical interpretations of real problems, knowing how to deduce information on real problems starting from mathematical data, knowing how to make judgments on real facts starting from mathematical considerations.
- Communication skills: knowing how to communicate in a rigorous way mathematical topics, knowing how to communicate effectively mathematical meanings.
- Learning skills: ability to study and understand both in groups and independently, being able to connect the studied topics among them, ability to grasp connections between mathematical topics and other disciplines (lateral transfer), ability to understand also more complex mathematical topics (vertical transfer).
The class hours (56) are equally divided into lectures and exercises.
In the case of merged mode (distance learning – face to face learning), face to face lectures will be used only for practical exercises (objective b.)
Topics will be mediated by a visual and practical approach, also with the aid of software with a great didactic impact (objectives a. and b.), to reach later on formal definitions (objective d.), through participated lessons (objective d.).
Examples of real applications will be provided. (objectives c. and e.).
In case of mixed or remotely mode, necessary changes will be provided.
Detailed Course Content
- Cartesian plane and data representation: lines and conics.
- Functions: monotone functions, polynomial functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, limits and continuous functions;
- Differential calculus: derivative of a function and theorems;
- Angelo Guerraccio. Matematica per le scienze. Pearson.
- Anna Maria Bigatti, Lorenzo Robbiano. Matematica di base. Casa editrice ambrosiana.