UNIT OPERATIONSAcademic Year 2017/2018 - 1° Year
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/15 - Food science and technology
Taught classes: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
The objective of the course is to integrate the acknowledgement about the Unit Operations (UO) already studied in the degree course of Food Science and Technology (L 26), with the acquisition of a) knowledge and skills of mathematical modeling, necessary for controlling, optimizing and dimensioning of the UO in food industries, without neglecting the bases of food quality and safety; b) knowledge about the unconventional and innovative UO, particularly those requiring the application of biotechnology. Teaching activity includes theory lessons and practical sessions with numerical exercises based on real case studies of the Food Industry.
Detailed Course Content
The course aims to provide students easier understanding and mastering of the following topics: - Unit operations with heat and vapor application such as: Pasteurization, Sterilization, Scorching; - Unit operations based on water removal: Drying. Water activity (Aw) and kinetic behavior of isotherms
1. Spagna G. -Tecnologie Alimentari: Operazioni Unitarie vol 1 teoria, vol 2 esercizi - CULC
2. Peri C. – Manuale di Tecnologie Alimentari vol 1,2,3,4 – CUSL
3. Pompei C. – Operazioni unitarie della tecnologia alimentare – Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
4. Singh P. R., Heldman D. R. – Principi di Tecnolgia Alimentare - Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, with the
support of the: http://rpaulsingh.com/default.html.
5. Fellows P. J. “Food Processing Technology: Principles and Practice” Third edition (2009) - Woodhead
Publishing Ltd, Cambridge England.
6. Earle R. L. “Unit Operations in Food Processing” – Free Web edition by Dick and Mary Earle, with the
support of the NZIFST: http://www.nzifst.org.nz/unitoperations/index.htm.
7. Donadio S., Marino G. Biotecnologie microbiche. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana.