UNIT OPERATIONSAcademic Year 2016/2017 - 1° Year
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/15 - Food science and technology
Taught classes: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
The course complements the general knowledge of Unit Operations (UO) given in the degree in Food Science and Technology (L26), with a) the acquisition of knowledge and skills of mathematical modeling, necessary for the control, optimization and dimensioning of UO applied in the food industries, on the basis of food quality and safety, b) the study of "unconventional" and innovative UO, particularly which require the biotechnology applications. The theoretical lessons will be integrated with numerical exercises based on real case studies.
Detailed Course Content
Topics of the course:
- Unit Operations with with heat application by steam and water, such as sterilization, pasteurization, blaching;
- Unit Operations based on water removal: Activity water (Aw) and adsorption isotherms; Drying
- Unit Operations at room temperature: Extraction and Irradiation;
- Unit Operations in Food Biotechnology: Technology and application of fermentation; Enzymology (enzyme kinetic and environmental effects, enzymes technology and applications.
1. Spagna G. -Tecnologie Alimentari: Operazioni Unitarie vol 1 teoria, vol 2 esercizi - CULC
2. Peri C. – Manuale di Tecnologie Alimentari vol 1,2,3,4 – CUSL
3. Pompei C. – Operazioni unitarie della tecnologia alimentare – Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
4. Singh P. R., Heldman D. R. – Principi di Tecnolgia Alimentare - Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, with the
support of the: http://rpaulsingh.com/default.html.
5. Fellows P. J. “Food Processing Technology: Principles and Practice” Third edition (2009) - Woodhead
Publishing Ltd, Cambridge England.
6. Earle R. L. “Unit Operations in Food Processing” – Free Web edition by Dick and Mary Earle, with the
support of the NZIFST: http://www.nzifst.org.nz/unitoperations/index.htm.
7. Donadio S., Marino G. Biotecnologie microbiche. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana.