TECNOLOGIE PER LA STABILIZZAZIONE E SANITIZZAZIONE NELL'INDUSTRIA ALIMENTAREAcademic Year 2021/2022 - 1° Year
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/15 - Food science and technology
Course Language: Italian
Taught classes: 28 hours
Exercise: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
This course completes the general knowledge of the Food Unit Operations given during the degree course in Food science and Technology (L26), with the acquisition of knowledge and skills of mathematical modelling, necessary for the control, optimization and to the sizing of the food industries, respectively. Keeping in account food quality and safety concepts. The frontal lectures will be supplemented with exercises based on case studies of the food industry, company visits and seminars.
Lectures, practical experiences, seminars and visits.
Detailed Course Content
The course aims to provide the student with the basic knowledge for understanding and mastering the following topics:
1. Food thermal processes: Influence of internal and external factors, kinetics of microbial and enzymatic inactivation, thermal death time, probability of deterioration. Pasteurization, Blanching, Sterilization; mathematical methods, plant sizing. Examples, exercises and exercises.
2. Psychrometry: Composition of air, properties of dry air and water vapor, water/steam mixtures, specific heat mixtures of air/water, adiabatic air saturation, temperature of wet bulb. Psychrometric diagram (construction, heating/cooling of the air, air mixtures). Examples, exercises and exercises.
3. Drying: processes, aw, diffusion of water in food, drying curves. Dryers (type, operation and use in the food industries). Design and dimensioning of drying systems for food products. Estimation of drying time. Examples, exercises and exercises.
4. Process control and optimization: definitions and objectives, process variables. Control charts for variables (control charts construction, interpretation and decision support). Acceptance and rejection criteria, range and performance indicators.
5. Plant analysis: sizing and economic parameters, profitability, utilization indices, plant reliability and availability, optimization.
1. Pompei C. – Operazioni unitarie della tecnologia alimentare – Casa Editrice Ambrosiana
2. Singh P. R., Heldman D. R. – Principi di Tecnolgia Alimentare - Casa Editrice Ambrosiana, with the support of the: http://rpaulsingh.com/default.html.
3. Spagna G. -Tecnologie Alimentari: Operazioni Unitarie - esercizi - CULC