QUALITY AND SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS IN FOOD INDUSTRIESAcademic Year 2019/2020 - 1° Year
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/15 - Food science and technology
Course Language: Italian
Taught classes: 35 hours
Exercise: 14 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
The course provides an overview of the theoretical and applicative knowledge concerning food quality and safety management standards. This knowledge includes the theory of system as well as the main mandatory and voluntary standards for management in food processing (by-products, ingredients and food products), even in the context of fraudulent actions. Furthermore, particular attention will be focused on recognition and management of safety issues in the following specific areas: minimally processed fruits and vegetable; alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages; olive and other vegetable oils, bakery products; milk and dairy products; meat, fish and eggs derivatives. After the end of the study, the student will be able to design, manage and implement a Quality System in compliance with tracking standard (UNI EN ISO 9001: 2015), as well as EU Food Hygiene and Safety Assurance System (Reg. CE 852, 853, 854/2004; Reg. CE 882/2004).
The course is organized in interactive lectures and other activities (e.g. tutorials, technical visits) essential for the training of Students.
Detailed Course Content
Scope and limits of the course – Food Quality Evolution - Global Quality (Quality Overall, QO) and Total Quality (Total Quality Management, TQM) - Edible Identities (standarditazion and food as cultural heritage) - Local, National and European labels - Bio Label - Islamic (Halal) and Jewish (Kosher) standards - Fraud and Italian Sounding - Management and safety of food additives and flavorings - Commodity aspects of Food Classifications - Mandatory and voluntary standard – Safety in the public catering - Tracking and Tracing - Management and implementation of Quality Systems - Performance markers - Audit - TQM in the following specific food areas: minimally processed fruits and vegetable; alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages; olive and other vegetable oils, bakery products; milk and dairy products; meat, fish and eggs derivatives; public catering - Development of a Quality System in compliance with tracking standard (UNI EN ISO 9001: 2015) as well as EU Food Hygiene and Safety Assurance System (Reg. CE 852, 853, 854/2004; Reg. CE 882/2004).
- Barbagallo R.N., 2019. Corso di Gestione della Qualità e Sicurezza.
- Gigante N., 2015. I Quaderni della Qualità - Quaderni 1/6. Ente Italiano di Normazione.
- Melissano M., 2009. Alimenti e alimentazione Chimica, Igiene degli Alimenti e Tecnologia dei Processi Alimentari. Edagricole.
- AA.VV., a cura di Ciappellano S., 2009. Manuale della ristorazione. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana.
During the course the professor will provide in digital form, through the Studium platform and in the classrom, essential and supplementary teaching materials.
Texts for consultation and readings
- Mandatory Standards: Reg. CE 852, 853, 854/2004 and Reg. CE 882/2004; Reg. CE 178/2002; Reg. CE 2073/2005; Reg. CE 1169/2001 e Dgls 231/2017; Reg. CE 1881/2006; Dlsg. 31/2001.
- Voluntary Standards: ISO 9001:2015; ISO 22000:2005; ISO 14001:2015; ISO 22005:2008; GlobalGap; BRC Food-Ver. 8, IFS-Ver. 6.1.