INSETTI E ALIMENTAZIONEAcademic Year 2021/2022 - 3° Year
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/11 - General and applied entomology
Course Language: Italian
Taught classes: 28 hours
Exercise: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
1. Knowledge and understanding
The course aims to provide the student with the necessary insights, in terms of basic biological and ethological knowledge on insects having a direct or indirect relationship with human nutrition, both as pests of agri-food products and as a direct source of protein for animals and humans feeding.
2. Ability to apply knowledge and understanding.
The entomological knowledge acquired during the course will provide the student with the technical-managerial skills and expertise for the adoption of the appropriate prevention and integrated control strategies of pest infestations and for the breeding techniques for the large-scale production of insects for food purposes and subsequent marketing.
3. Communication skills.
The student will be able to develop communication and relational skills regarding the interaction between insects and food preparation, catering, and food distribution as well as those related to the possibilities of using insects for food purposes.
Lectures (35 hours)
Classroom and/or laboratory exercises (14 hours)
Information for students with disabilities and/or DSA.
As a guarantee of equal opportunities and in compliance with current laws, interested students can ask for a personal interview in order to plan any compensatory and/or dispensatory measures, based on their specific needs and on teaching objectives of the discipline. It is also possible to ask the departmental contacts of CInAP (Center for Active and Participatory Integration - Services for Disabilities and/or DSAs), in the persons of professors Giovanna Tropea Garzia and Anna De Angelis.
Detailed Course Content
Insects: threat or resource? - Human-Insect Relationships - Insect morphology, anatomy and biological traits - Notes on other food animal pests - Insects pests of the main agro-food chains - Pest management strategies - Entomophagy - Insects as feed and food - Nutritional value of insects - Mass rearing of insect species for feed and food production - Legislation on the use of insects as feed and food.
1. Belcari A., Macchione P., Gianchecchi U., Bacciotti D., Nencetti A., Rossi F., Gestione integrata degli animali infestanti nelle industrie alimentari. Firenze University Press, 2012 - 174 pp.
2. Trematerra P. & Süss L., Prontuario di entomologia merceologica e urbana. Aracne edit. 2007, 154 pp.
3. Insects as food and feed: from production to consumption. Ed. Arnold van Huis, Jeffery K. Tomberlin. 447 p. ISBN 9789086862962
3. Other teaching material will be provided by the teacher.