Ornamental and landscape arboricultureAcademic Year 2021/2022 - 1° Year
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/03 - Arboriculture and Fruitculture
Course Language: Italian
Taught classes: 28 hours
Exercise: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 2°
Provide the knowledge to intervene in the selection and management of tree systems with ornamental and landscape function in the Mediterranean environment. The student will be able to recognize the main ornamental tree species and to place them in an appropriate ecological and landscape context.
Lessons (28 hours) and technical visits and exercises by case studies and/or seminars (28 hours), also on line.
As a guarantee of equal opportunities and in compliance with current laws, interested students can ask for a personal interview in order to plan any compensatory and/or dispensatory measures, based on their specific needs and on teaching objectives of the discipline.
It is also possible to ask the departmental contacts of CInAP (Center for Active and Participatory Integration - Services for Disabilities and/or DSAs), in the persons of professors Giovanna Tropea Garzia and Anna De Angelis.
Detailed Course Content
Botanical classification, origin, spreading, ornamental value, morphological characteristics, environmental requirements of the main ornamental tree species in the Mediterranean environment
Management of ornamental woody systems (planting and pruning)
Functions and beneficial effects of trees
The role of trees for cities
1. Ferrari M., Medici D., Alberi e arbusti in Italia, Manuale di riconoscimento delle principali specie ornamentali. Edagricole, 2017.
2. Paesaggi rurali storici, editori Laterza 2011
3. Alessandro Chiusoli La scienza del paesaggio, CLUEB 1999
4. Harris, R.W. et al., Arboriculture- Integrated management of landescape trees, shrubs, and vines-, Prentice Hall U.S.A.
5. Giuseppe Barbera Abbracciare gli alberi Mondadori 2009
6. Francesco Ferrini, Alessio Fini Amico albero ruolo e benefici del verde nelle nostre città ETS 2017
7. Notes from the lessons and other teaching materials provided by the teacher during the course.