TURF MANAGEMENT AND GREEN ROOFSAcademic Year 2017/2018 - 2° Year - Curriculum Pianificazione del paesaggio
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/02 - Agronomy and field crops
Taught classes: 28 hours
Exercise: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 2°
The course provides concepts and knowledge concerning the sustainable management of the agro-ecosystems; botanical characteristics, environmental adaptation and needs of the main species used in the production of technical grassing (utility turf) and turf; theoretical and practical aspects for the realization of grassing techniques in the context of agro-ecosystems (orchards, vineyards etc.) and locations heavily tampered by man (quarries, landfills etc.); principles of turfgrass (sport turf, utility turf, home lawn) management; basic growth and development of turfgrass plant and its component parts; turfgrass identification, selection & use; climatic adaptation; establishment practices; nutrition & fertility management; cultural practices. The course also addresses environmental and agronomic aspects regarding the construction of extensive and intensive green roofs
Detailed Course Content
1. Natural ecosystem and agroecosystem: structural and functional components.
2. Technical grasses: phytoremediation (restoration of contamined sites); cover crop; living vegetation for bioengineering; greensward: establishment and management.
3. Turfgrass (sport turf, utility turf, lawn turf): growth, identification and regional adaptation of coolseason and warm-season species.
4. Principles of turfgrass establishment and management.
5. Green Roof: objectives, standards, criteria and species.
1. P. Croce, A. de Luca, M. Falcinelli, F.S. Modestini, F. Veronesi. TAPPETI ERBOSI. Edagricole. 2. Paolo Abram, VERDE PENSILE IN ITALIA E IN EUROPA, Il verde editoriale S.r.l., Milano. ISBN 88-86569-24-6W.
3. Dietl, J. Lehmann, M. Jorquera. LE GRAMINACEE PRATIVE. PATRON EDITORE, BOLOGNA, 2005.
4. David Pycraft. IL PRATO, TAPPETI ERBOSI, PIANTE TAPPEZZANTI, INFESTANTI. ZANICHELLI EDITORE, BOLOGNA, 1989.
5. Nick Christians, FUNDAMENTALS OF TURFGRASS MANAGEMENT, 4th Edition. Wiley, 2011.ISBN: 978-0-470-58731-7