ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT OF PROTECTED AREASAcademic Year 2019/2020 - 3° Year - Curriculum Tutela e valorizzazione del territorio
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/01 - Agricultural economics and rural appraisal
Course Language: Italian
Taught classes: 28 hours
Exercise: 28 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
To provide knowledge and skills for using the main economic and environmental impact assessment tools to achieve a sustainable management of protected natural capital.
The course is organized in two modules. Module I provides principles and tools for the economic analysis and sustainable management of protected area. Module II offers a guidance on the appropiate use of environmental impact assessment tools.
Detailed Course Content
Module I 3 CFU – Instructor: prof. Giovanni Signorello
- Protected areas: typologies, legislation, and statistical sources
- Principles and tools for the design and sustainable management of protected areas
- Costs and benefits of protected areas
- Monitoring, estimating and management of recreation demand in protected area
- Protected areas and local economic impact
Module II 3 CFU – Instructor: prof. Maria De Salvo
- Environmental assessment procedures and protected areas: European and Italian legislation and general overview
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
- Appropriate Assessment (AA)
- Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC), Autorizzazione Unica Ambientale (AUA), Autorizzazione Paesaggistica
Signorello G. (eds.), Readings on Economics and Management of Protected Areas (Module I), Catania, 2019.
Signorello G. & De Salvo M. (eds.), Readings on Economics and Management of Protected Areas (Module II), Catania, 2019.