SUSTAINABLE ARCHITECTUREAcademic Year 2016/2017 - 3° Year - Curriculum Pianificazione del paesaggio
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: AGR/10 - Rural buildings and agro-forest land planning
Taught classes: 32 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
The main goal is to provide expertise on building, functional and technological solutions that are eco-friendly and energy-efficient for the design, building, renovation and maintenance of buildings .
Detailed Course Content
1. INTRODUCTION TO SUSTAINABLE ARCHITECTURE
2. PHYSICAL WELL-BEING: THERMAL COMFORT AND INDOOR POLLUTION
Thermal comfort. Equation of the heat balance of the human body: the main heat exchanges between man and environment. The mean radiant temperature; the operating temperature. Thermal comfort indices. The indoor pollution: physical, chemical and microbiological. The local discomfort.
3. BIOCLIMATIC ARCHITECTURE
The climate. Classification of the climate on regional scale. Bioclimatic charts. Bioclimatic design on urban fabric scale: influence of sun, wind, shading and development of the site microclimate matrix. Bioclimatic design on building scale: reduction of heating requirements, optimal distribution of internal spaces, passive solar systems.
4. MATERIALS FOR SUSTAINABLE ARCHITECTURE
Loam, clay, sand, silt, gravel. The binders. The mortars, the "cocciopesto". Typical mortars: "ghiara" and "azolo". Ceramic materials: traditional bricks, brick with pores and rectified bricks. Loam bricks. Other types of building blocks (wood-concrete, cellular concrete, etc.). Plasters: characteristics of materials and application methods. Thermal insulation: performance requirements and methods of insulation. Breathability and thermal inertia. Animal, vegetal and mineral insulating materials. The wood: characteristics and necessary treatments. Wood panels used in buildings. Glued laminated timber. Structural wood systems (blockbau, frame, X-LAM).
5. TECHNICAL DETAILS
External and internal walls. Floors. Roofing.
6. EXAMPLES OF SUSTAINABLE ARCHITECTURE
Case studies of sustainable architecture design from traditional buildings to contemporary creations.
7. ENERGY CERTIFICATION OF BUILDINGS
Energy Performance of a building. Reference standard. Operating procedure for survey data. Example of EPA.
1. Alessandro Rogora. “Progettazione bioclimatica per l'architettura Mediterranea”, Wolters Kluwer Italia, 2012.
2. AA.VV. “Architettura sostenibile” a cura di Luca Castelli, Manuali tecnici UTET, 2008.
3. Natale Ventura. “Manuale per la certificazione energetica degli edifici.”, EPC editore, ottobre 2015 (II ed.).