Ruggero MenciDottorando - XXXIV Ciclo Agricultural, Food and Environmental Science - Tutor: Alessandro Priolo
Ufficio: Via Valdisavoia, 5 - Piano Terra
Telefono: 095 4783481
Telefono: 095 4783481
- 2019 - 2021: Industrial PhD course in Agricultural, Food and Environmental Science, University of Catania. Research project: “Dietary bioactive plant compounds for ruminants efficiency improvement”. Aim of this PhD project is to study the effect of dietary plant bioactive compounds in pasture-based production systems for dairy cows to improve digestion efficiency, product quality and animal welfare. The experimental design provides for an in vitro and an in vivo trial, where dietary tannins will be tested in two different feeding situation: the availability and the unavailability of pasture. Particularly, the in vitro trial will be run at INRA Centre Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes (Clermont-Ferrand, F) while the in vivo trial will be set in Sicily with Modicana cows. An internship at the partner company Silvateam, world leader in plant based extracts production, is also foreseen. This PhD project suits the extensive traditional Mediterranean husbandry.
- Apr 2018 - Dec 2018: Research Fellow at Dipartimento di Scienze Agrarie, Alimentari e Ambientali, University of Perugia. I have been involved in the PSR-Umbria 16.2.2 Suino semipesante umbro per salumi di qualità, aimed to enhance the ecological, economic and healthy aspects of local pig farming. My research activities included experimental trial planning, analysis on feed, meat and salami and consumer test managing.
- 2015-2018: Master’s Degree in Food Science and Technology, University of Perugia; supervisors: Dr. Giuseppe Luciano, Prof. Mariano Pauselli. Degree thesis: “Muscle specificity of oxidative stability in Chianina beef”. Final mark: 110/110 e lode (with honours).
Oct 2017 – Dec 2017: Internship at Instituto de Ganaderia de Montaña (Leòn, E), with Erasmus Traineeship. Supervisors: Dr. Pilar Frutos, Dr. Gonzalo Hervás. Research activities: feed analysis and in vitro fermentations.
- 2012-2015: Bechelor’s Degree in Food Science and Technology, University of Perugia; supervisor: Prof. Giuseppe Perretti. Degree thesis: “Use of by-products of malting and brewing”. Final mark: 110/110 e lode (with honours).
- 2007-2012: High School diploma: Agricultural Technical Certificate. I.S.I.S. “A.Vegni” Capezzine, Cortona (AR). Final mark: 100/100.